A BIOGRAPHY OF BASHIRUL HAQ
(Architect and Principal – Bashirul Haq & Associates)
(24 June 1942 – 4 April 2020)
A BIOGRAPHY OF BASHIRUL HAQ
Bashirul Haq was a Bangladeshi architect, town planner, and educator who made significant contributions to the field of architecture in South Asia. He was born on June 24, 1942 and passed away on April 4, 2020. He was highly respected and regarded as one of the most influential architects in South Asia due to his innovative designs and commitment to sustainable urban planning. Throughout his career, Haq played a key role in shaping the architectural landscape of Bangladesh.
You may also like to read A BIOGRAPHY OF SALAUDDIN AHMED
Birthplace: Brahmanbaria, Bangladesh
Bachelor of Architecture, National College of Arts
Master’s of Architecture, University of New Mexico
ASA Head Office Building
Battling the Storm – Study on Cyclone Resistant Housing, published by the German Red Cross, 1999
IAB Gold Medal
Aga Khan Award for Architecture Three times nominated
Bashirul Haq was born in 1942 in a village named Bhatshala, Brahmanbaria, a district in east-central Bangladesh and about 100 km from the capital Dhaka. From an early age, he developed a particular fondness for Bengal’s rural landscape. His father was a government official and he spent most of his childhood in Sylhet.
He studied to become an architect and got his Bachelor’s degree from National College of Arts in Lahore, Pakistan in 1964. Later, in 1971 he went to the United States and studied at University of New Mexico on a scholarship. He completed his masters in architecture from the same university in 1975.
After finishing his master’s degree, Bashirul Haq started working for a company called Kallmann McKinnell. He wanted to go back to his home country, Bangladesh but another Bangladeshi-American engineer, Fazlur Rahman Khan, told him not to go as the country was recovering from a war. Instead, Khan gave him a job at a different company called SOM and also suggested he visit Europe before returning to the USA. But Haq decided to go to Bangladesh from Europe and started practicing architecture there. He opened his own company called Bashirul Haq & Associates in 1977. He didn’t visit the USA for many years but in 1989 he was invited to visit Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a design critic.
Haq designed over 300 buildings in his 46 years of professional career. He was inspired by the works of architects Alvar Aalto and Aldo Rossi.
Among 300 projects, some of them are mentioned below.
● Bhatshala House (Architect’s village home), Brahmanbaria
● Architect’s Family Home and Studio, Indira Road, Dhaka
● Century Apartment Complex, Moghbazar, Dhaka
● Ramna Apartment Complex, Moghbazar, Dhaka
● Lake View Apartment Complex, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
● Century Tower, Moghbazar, Dhaka
● Kalindi Apartment Complex, 36 Indira Road, Dhaka
● Segunbagicha Apartment Complex, Segunbagicha, Dhaka
● Dhanshiri Apartment Complex, 35 Indira Road, Dhaka
● Gulshan Pride, Gulshan, Dhaka
● Asra Apartments, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
● Association for Social Advancement (ASA) Head Office Building.
● Head Office Building of Bangladesh Chemical Industries Corporation (BCIC), Dilkusha C/A., Dhaka.
● Head Office Building of People’s Insurance Company Ltd. (PICL), Dilkusha C/A., Dhaka.
● Community Development Centre at Kutubdia, Moghnama and Moheshkhali and Cox’s Bazar.
● Projects under Cyclone Related Disaster Preparedness Programme.
● Cyclone resistant Housing in 6 Locations at Cox’s Bazar district.
● German Red Cross Community Based Multipurpose Cyclone Shelters at Tolatoli, Kachubunia and Khandkar Para, Teknaf, Cox’s Bazar.
● MIDAS Center, Dhanmondi, Dhaka.
● Central Diesel Workshop and Housing Project for Bangladesh Railway.
● Rail II Project for Bangladesh Railway. Dhaka, Parbatipur, Pahartali, Ishurdi. International Rail Consultant, Canada.
● US Chancery Building, Dhaka. Kallmann McKinnell & Wood, USA.
● GMP Standard Factory Design at Tongi for Beximco Pharmaceutical Ltd. Tongi. CMPS&F Pty Ltd., Australia.
● 3 Nos. Upazilas namely Katiadi, Kuliarchar & Bajitpur under Kishoreganj District.
● 3 Nos. Upazilas namely Nagarkanda, Alphadanga and Charvadrashan under Faridpur District.
● Faridpur District.
● Hostel cum-Seminar Facilities Hosted People’s Health Assembly.
● Facilities for American International and Secondary School, Baridhara, Dhaka.
● Shabuj Shona Center, Manikgonj.
● Chhayanaut Bhaban, Dhanmondi, Dhaka.
● East West University, Dhaka.
● Sunbeams School, Uttara, Dhaka.
● Drik-Pathshala, Panthapath, Dhaka.
● Training Center for Nijerakori, Bogra.
Awards And Honors
● Aga Khan Award for Architecture, shortlisted in 1980, 1992 and 2001.
● Institute of Architects Bangladesh Gold Medal 2020.
● Chairman of the jury board, Holcim Green Built Bangladesh Award.
● Member, Board of Trustees, Fazlur Rahman Khan Foundation, Dhaka.
● Became part of an International Exhibit Entitled 5000 years of Pakistan.
1994 “Battling the Storm – Study on Cyclone Resistant Housing“. Published by the German Red Cross, 1999.
Bashirul Haq departed this world on Saturday, April 4, 2020.
All content on this website is provided in good faith and only for general information purposes. A Biography makes no guarantees regarding the information’s completeness, reliability, or correctness. Any action you take as a result of the material on this website is entirely at your own risk. A Biography is not responsible for any losses or damages incurred as a result of using our website.
এই ওয়েবসাইটের সমস্ত বিষয়বস্তু সরল বিশ্বাসে এবং শুধুমাত্র সাধারণ তথ্যের উদ্দেশ্যে প্রদান করা হয়েছে। একটি জীবনী তথ্যের সম্পূর্ণতা, নির্ভরযোগ্যতা বা সঠিকতা সম্পর্কে কোন গ্যারান্টি দেয় না। এই ওয়েবসাইটের উপাদানের ফলস্বরূপ আপনি যে কোনও পদক্ষেপ গ্রহণ করেন তা সম্পূর্ণরূপে আপনার নিজের ঝুঁকিতে। একটি জীবনী আমাদের ওয়েবসাইট ব্যবহার করার ফলে কোনো ক্ষতি বা ক্ষতির জন্য দায়ী নয়।